Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bears

Dear Friends,

My wife and I are at our cabin in northern Wisconsin for 10 days.  It is a wonderful place, and we are very lucky to have it.  Unfortunately, the internet connection via satellite has been spotty at best.  The response from the provider is that there are storms that are causing the problem.  After several calls, they are making a service call on Tuesday.  Tonight so far the connection has been stable so I am rushing to publish a blog or two.

Anyway we arrived here on Thursday and were sitting on our screened porch at about 8:30 pm when a mother bear and four cubs came strolling into our yard.  The mother knocked the top off the garbage can and finding no garbage moved on to the garage where she found nothing either.  Then she and her four cubs ambled up the driveway.  About 45 minutes later they returned and walked between our cabin and the lake and headed back into the woods.  The blueberries are in perfect season now so there is no shortage of food for the bears.

I have been coming here for over 40 years and this is the first time that I have ever seen bears.  What a thrill!!  Unfortunately, now I expect them to show up every night as we are finishing dinner.

Here are some pictures.





I know this has nothing to do with how the current administration is doing, but I am really excited that I saw the bears.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

2 comments:

  1. This is really exciting. I love these pics of the bears. I wish I too had seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These bear photos are fantastic. This is really exciting. But be careful. A bear attacked someone in Kentucky last week. I read about it in our local paper. The guy's fine.

    ReplyDelete