Thursday, April 29, 2010

Patti Smith Godmother of Punk

Dear Friends,

Today on Democracy Now, Amy Goodman had an extensive interview with Patti Smith, often referred to as the Godmother of Punk.  She is my age.  She is a poet, songwriter and performer.  She is also an activist.  Here is the summary:
We bring you a Democracy Now special with the singer-songwriter, poet, artist, and punk rock legend, Patti Smith, on her life, her art and her singing and speaking out. “I do things that make people upset. My political views or my humanist views have caused me a lot of censorship, but I don’t have a problem with that,” Smith says. “What I would have more of a problem with is, if I had to look back on my life and say, ‘Yeah I compromised here’ and ‘yeah I did this so I could get that’–once you start doing that it’s like a house of cards, it all falls apart.”
In addition to the quote above she voices a number of other great thoughts, including one that says if you are not doing something joyfully, then you shouldn't be doing it.  She also wrote a great protest song entitled "The People have the Power".

We need people like to Patti to make sure we don't forget that people do have the power and that we can and should live uncompromising and joyous lives.

Here is the segment from today's show:
Punk Rock Legend Patti Smith on her Life, Her Art, Her Singing and Speaking Out

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal 

2 comments:

  1. Thx for the link. I LOVE PATTI SMITH!

    I've been meaning to read her new memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote.

    It seems to me that Patti ascribes to the "bright light" philosophy.

    And her message about being controversial is timely for me. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete