Saturday, January 23, 2016

Villefranche-sur-mer v.12


Dear Friends,

Today we visited the Musée Matisse in Nice.  It is a wonderful museum devoted entirely to Matisse who spent much of his life here since he loved the incredible light and colors.  This museum is one of our favorite ones.  You walk through old Roman ruins to get from the bus stop to the museum which sits on the edge of a beautiful park.  In January, there is virtually nobody there so you can take you time, stand close to the works of art or stand back and gaze at them without interruption from other people.  It is a real thrill.  I spend most of my time just smiling both inwardly and outwardly as I enjoy the beauty of his simple lines and colors.  Some of our favorite works were not there this year as they are traveling.  We saw many in Minneapolis not too long ago.  But there are so many wonderful works to see we were not disappointed.  Today Jane and I each picked out our favorites.  Jane's favorites are:

                      

My favorites are:

           

Don't worry I did not violate the rules and take pictures of the actual paintings.  I bought postcards and took pictures of them.  I have to now keep them in my memory to bring me happiness for another year until I can return again.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal


1 comment:

  1. That was easily one of my favorite stops on my trip to Europe. Such a beautiful and perfect setting. Love Matisse and it is just a perfect venue for his work.

    ReplyDelete