Friday, July 15, 2011

David Brooks

Dear Friends,

I very seldom agree with David Brooks, and I must admit that for awhile, I stopped reading his columns.  I have been chastised by several friends for not reading his columns, and as a result, I am trying my best to read them.  This morning I was glad that I read his column in The New York Times entitled "Death and Budgets" (here).

He addresses the issue of end of life medical expenses, and our country's focus on extending life regardless of the quality of the life being extended.  He very nicely combines the financial and emotional impacts of the end of life issues.  The last paragraph reads:
My only point today is that we think the budget mess is a squabble between partisans in Washington. But in large measure it’s about our inability to face death and our willingness as a nation to spend whatever it takes to push it just slightly over the horizon.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

2 comments:

  1. So are you suggesting that governments should leave for dead those individuals afflicted with AIDS? That they should just "face death"rather than attempting to do "whatever it takes to push it just slightly over the horizon" as Brooks so pessimistically puts it and you abominably agree with? Such an argument reveals a profound misunderstanding of the purpose of the government to ensure the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness for _all_ individuals without discrimination. Furthermore, this argument, while it may seem logical and harmless, is disgustingly arrogant to presume that any man can determine the value of another person's life and on the pretense of passivity, actively ensure the termination of those who are weak and sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    I actually believe that government should provide the opportunity for all to face the end of their lives as they determine. The point of the article that I liked was that we as individual members of the society need to consider the end of life decisions. Unfortunately too many people do not think or talk with their families about death. Unfortunately, that can lead to emotional problems for the family.
    The government's job is to provide opportunities for the citizens to make up their own minds. The person and family's job is to make their own determinations.
    Government also needs to support the research to cure diseases including AIDS.

    ReplyDelete