Monday, April 5, 2010

Massey Energy

Dear Friends,
I was saddened to read today of the deaths of miners in a Massey Energy coal mine.  (here)  Normally I would have just glanced at the headline, been sad for a while, lamented the priority of profits over safety and moved on.  However, my son just spent most of his Spring break from college in West Virginia working on a series of articles on the West Virginia coal mining debates for the Wilder Voice, a long form journalism magazine at Oberlin College.  Here is a recent blog post from him about his trip.
I am very proud of John for spending his Spring break working to better the world.  I am also reminded that while I feel that our education system is failing us, many college students are getting great educations and are learning and practicing values that have historically made our country great.  There is hope, but we must force our elected representatives to understand what is important.
Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

2 comments:

  1. What a horrible tragedy. I'm glad you wrote about it.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this sad story on my way home from work. Right on the heels of the story of the rescue in China.

    ReplyDelete