Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gail Collins

Dear Friends,

I do not believe that I have posted before about Gail Collins or one of her columns in The New York Times.  She is one of my favorite columnists for two very good reasons. First, I most always agree with her and when I don't it is simply a matter of degree.  Second, she has a great sense of humor, at least in her column.  I have never met her so I really don't know what she is like in person. 

Today's column was as usual a great one (here).  It is entitled "The Curse of the Wow Factor". You need to read the entire column.  As you may guess, it focuses on the recent appearances of half-term Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and Representative Michele Bachmann (R-MN).  They are over the top in terms of talking without saying anything substantive or simply making stuff up.  I believe it was Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show" that showed a clip of Governor Palin talking about how terrible President Obama's nuclear arms decisions were.  She had the facts and the United States history wrong and she made no sense.  He followed that clip with a clip of President Obama being asked to comment on what Governor Palin had said.  President Obama declined to comment on her foreign policy experience and ideas. 

The juxtaposition of the two clips was great.  In the first clip you have an uninformed, incomprehensible person who lacks any substance.  In the second clip you have perhaps the most intelligent President that we have ever had who is thoughtful, articulate and full of substance. 

I would have posted the clips but I am traveling and my internet connection is tenuous at best so I can't right now but I will try later.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

1 comment:

  1. I'll look for this clip because I love Jon Stewart very much.

    Happy Travels. San Francisco? It doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete