Saturday, January 21, 2017

Villefranche-sur-mer 2017-3 (pétanque)

Dear Friends,

As today is Saturday, it is pétanque (aka boules) day.  A group of ex-pats meets for a friendly game each Saturday morning at 10:00.  It may be friendly but anyone who claims that he/she is not competitive is lying.  Today we had several new players who we were happy to have join us.


I was on the winning team the first weekend we were here.  Then I lost on the second weekend.  Then it was too cold and windy (the others are not from Minnesota), and then I lost again this weekend.  I am afraid that I do not have a very good record.  The first game today.  I was on a team of all people who were Americans.  Based on how we played we could not be called All-American.  The other team was also made up only of Americans, one of which was my wife.  Not only did she beat her wonderful husband, she intentionally and with great malice hit my winning ball both so that I lost and she won.  In the second game, I was on a team made up of Americans only and played a North American team (Canada and United States), once again my wife was one of them.  I lost again and once again my wife intentionally and with great malice hit my winning ball both so that I lost and she won.  She claims she is not competitive but look at her right after she won.


As if that celebration was not enough, when we retired to Chez Betty for a chocolat chaud, she was posing once again.


The other winning team today was a French/American team (you will note that the Aussies were shut out for the first time in a long time).  They too celebrated but without the obvious glee of destroying a spouse.


All in all it was a great morning that distracted us from the horror of President Trump.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

No comments:

Post a Comment