Thursday, October 8, 2015

Trans-Pacific Partnership

Dear Friends,

Apparently, Hillary Clinton read my blog right after I posted it and decided to withdraw her support for TPP.  The headlines, in my view exaggerate her lack of support compared to what she really said.
As of today, I am not in favor of what I have learned about it...I don’t believe it’s going to meet the high bar I have set.
She also acknowledged that she had not read it.  She has left herself a lot of wiggle room to change her mind when she is not under any pressure from the left.  It was a particularly good political move in terms of putting Vice President Biden in a bad position.  He is a supporter of TPP (and in his current position must be).  If he enters the race now, he will be the only Democratic candidate supporting TPP which will cause him problems with labor unions and liberals.

Bernie Sanders and I are both delighted that she has apparently changed her position.  Of course, as he said, it would have been more useful if she had come out against TPP when we only needed to stop granting fast track authority by preventing a 60 vote majority in the Senate.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

No comments:

Post a Comment