Tuesday, March 31, 2015

We truly put the wind in our own sails

Dear Friends,

I am one of those liberals who has wanted Elizabeth Warren to run for President.  The argument for having her run is that at the very least it would force Hillary Clinton to the left so that perhaps some of us could vote enthusiastically for her and that, at the best, Elizabeth Warren would become President.  In my view that would be great because we would finally have elected a true liberal who will fight for the American people and against big business and big money.  The fact that she would be the first woman President would just be icing on the cake.

I have now come to believe her that she is not running for President.  While she will never say never, it is clear that she is not running.  I am not disappointed in her or her decision.  I am disappointed in myself for hoping against hope that she would run.  I wanted her to do the work of pushing Hillary and the discussion of the issues to the left.  That would be far easier for me than if I had to take on that task.  It is now very clear that we, we the people, must take on that task.

Rachel Maddow interviewed Senator Warren tonight.  It was a great interview because Rachel went way beyond asking her for the one millionth time if she was going to run.  The interview is not yet available online, but it will be tomorrow at the Rachel Maddow Show website (here).  If you have the time, you should watch it.  Towards of the end of the interview, Senator Warren made a clear, concise and passionate argument for breaking up the big banks that are too big to fail.  Rachel acknowledged Senator Warren's great position but asked if the Democratic Party is any better at reigning in Wall Street than the Republicans.  Rachel specifically cited Senator Schumer and Hillary Clinton as two Democrats with extremely close ties to Wall Street and who have not supported Senator Warren's efforts to effectively control the big banks.  Tellingly, Senator Warren did not answer the question but made a wonderful call to arms saying that it is we the people, the American people who support breaking up the banks that need to force the action.  She said that it was time for the American people to say that Congress will no longer work for the big business and big money that can hire thousands of lobbyists.  It is time for Congress to work for the American people.  The American people must demand it.

Senator Warren both in her decision not to run for President and in her answer to Rachel's questions has made it clear that we the people cannot wait for others to take action.  I cannot wait for Senator Warren to push Hillary to the left or Senator Schumer to actually regulate and control Wall Street.  If I want some thing to happen, I have to get active.  Senator Warren used a great phrase to illustrate her point.

"We truly put the wind in our own sails!"

It is long past time for the liberals to quit complaining about the Republican lies and terrible policies and get to work making clear to the American people that a liberal government will move this country forward to be more like the fair and just society that we would all like to live in.  We need to "put the wind in our own sails"!

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

3 comments:

  1. I have an Elizabeth Warren for President poster in my garage if you want one. As usual, I agree with your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wish she would run though.

    I'll get more active with convincing Hilary to shape up. I've been kind of a slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still wish she would run though.

    I'll get more active with convincing Hilary to shape up. I've been kind of a slacker.

    ReplyDelete