Sunday, December 7, 2014

Hillary Clinton

Dear Friends,

The front page of the Minneapolis Star Tribune this morning had an article on Senator Amy Klobuchar and her political ambitions entitled "Sen. Amy Klobuchar quietly climbs Washington ranks" (here).  Senator Klobuchar is one of my two Senators, and I have always supported her.  She is, however, not a liberal.  She is a centrist who champions issues that are important but not often controversial.  She is in my view way to establishment and cautious.  I suspect it is for these reasons that she has risen within the Democratic establishment.

I then turned to The New York Times and read an op-ed piece by Frank Bruni entitled "Hillary 2.0 Would Be Hillary XX" (here).  The thesis of the piece is that Hillary is running in 2016 as a woman unlike 2008 when she could not decide whether to push the fact that she was a woman and how groundbreaking it would be to have a woman President.  These two articles made it clear to me that no matter how much I wanted to avoid thinking about the 2016 Presidential election, I was going to be forced to think about it.

I had been thinking of writing about the 2016 Presidential race with a particular focus on Hillary Clinton.  I would love to be able to enthusiastically support Hillary, but at the moment I cannot.  I have a clear bias about her.  I view her as an opportunist, at best a centrist, a hawk and a sellout to the establishment.  However, I feel that I need to actually do the research to see if my view is justified.  As a result over the next few months, I will be looking at what Secretary Clinton's views actually are and what positions she actually has and is taking.  I will try to be open to having my mind changed.

Please give me your feedback and propose issues that I should research.

Thank you for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll find this article interesting.
    http://harpers.org/archive/2014/10/stop-hillary-2/

    I can't wait to hear your opinions about the 2016 campaign.

    ReplyDelete