Saturday, May 7, 2011

Justice and Revenge

Dear Friends,

I have been trying to understand my feelings about the news that we had killed Osama bin Laden.  I am relieved that he is no longer able to plot terrorist acts.  I am happy for those families and loved ones of the victims of 9/11 for whom his death brings some comfort and closure.

However, I can take no joy in the death of another human being no matter what evil things he or she has done.  It is morally wrong to kill another human being.  In addition, I can certainly take no joy in the fact that my country essentially assassinated him with no due process of law.  For the President of the United States to be sheriff, judge and jury is wrong and contrary to the foundation on which our country was built and upon which, I would hope, it still rests. 

Justice was not done by assassinating Osama bin Laden.  Revenge was taken, plain and simple.  Justice is a critical and core value of a great society.  Vengeance has no place in one.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal


1 comment:

  1. I essentially agree with you and could not feel the elation that others did. I was embarrassed that it had taken us so long to find him. I was also relieved that there was not a trial as I imagined that it would bring on more threats...so ultimately, since I think a trial was not advisable...I accepted that Obama did what needed to be done and thus I accept his decision as the lesser of two evils. mqw

    ReplyDelete