Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unitarian Universalist

Dear Friends,

By the standards (such as they are) of the religious right, I am not a very religious person.  I call myself a Christian in part because I was raised a Christian and in part because I try to live my life in accordance with the teachings of Jesus.  My understanding of Jesus is that he stood for unconditional, inclusive love for all of creation.  I do not deny nor do I necessarily accept the existence of God.  I certainly do not believe that I understand God, and if I did understand a god, it would not be possible for that god to be the God.  I attend a very liberal Congregational Church, but my beliefs are perhaps more closely aligned with those of a Unitarian Universalist.

When I listened to President Obama's video speech to the Netroots Nation 2010 convention that was the subject of my prior blog, I noticed that he was actually able to end a speech without saying something to the effect of "God Bless America".  Now I suspect that since he was addressing 2,000 left wing bloggers, he did not feel the need to give the speech ending expected by the rest of the American public.  I was delighted to find out that he was actually capable of ending a speech without asking God to bless America and to heck with the rest of the world and in the process alienate those of us that actually think that the separation of church and state is a good thing.

Unfortunately, President Obama was wearing his flag pin in the speech.  I guess he did not want to give Fox News too much to complain about from any given speech.

Thanks for reading and please comment,
The Unabashed Liberal

No comments:

Post a Comment